Granger – Lansing, Michigan
The Safety Manager owns the safety of Granger associates and the various surroundings where work is conducted including landfills, transfer stations and maintenance facilities. As the recognized expert on all applicable Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA) and other federal and state safety regulations, this position will create, implement and continuously improve a comprehensive occupational health and safety program to lead the safety of our associates and subcontractors.
SUCCESS IN THIS ROLE
- Keen awareness of surrounding, observant and curious to spot potential safety hazards before they lead to unwanted outcomes
- Diligent in asking the right questions and uncovering root causes to implement sound solutions
- Lead the full circle of successful safety outcomes including setting goals, identifying and assisting with needed training, creating documentation standards, auditing and adjusting when needed
- Earn the trust and respect of all associates needed to implement and sustain lasting change
ACCOUNTABILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Have a strong working knowledge of our various work environments and how all applicable regulations apply to our specific surroundings
- Create a comprehensive safety program that can be sustained long term and fulfills all applicable OSHA and other applicable regulations for both Granger associates and subcontractors
- Create a formal hazard prevention and control process, hazard identification and assessment process and industrial hygiene monitoring program, monitor and correct deficiencies as needed.
- Create, update and maintain job safety analysis documents for all positions, work with the training team to create and deliver needed training and roll out to all associates.
- Coordinate and conduct periodic safety meetings with associates to communicate safety performance results, various initiatives and the overall importance of workplace safety
- Represents Granger during inspections and hearings conducted by OSHA and other regulatory agencies
- Create, implement and maintain all needed safety policies and documentation including Emergency Action Plans
- Define all needed documentation to manage risk, respond to insurance claims. Implement programs to ensure documentation is created and stored in an acceptable fashion.
- Create and lead an accident review committee to learn from events and improve outcomes. Manages all documentation and assists with preparation of materials and evidence that may be required for hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations
- Develop, implement and maintain injury investigation, data analysis and recurrence prevention programs and procedures
- Create and manage site safety programs for all locations including security systems, alert response and property camera management and data review
- Assist the Engineering Team by reviewing capital projects for environmental safety impacts and advises project team leaders as appropriate
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety or related field strongly preferred
- Certified Safety Professional designation strongly preferred
- 5+ years prior experience in a safety and compliance position to include managing a comprehensive safety program
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft software including Word, Excel and Outlook